During National Nursing Week (May 10-16), CUPE Ontario recognizes the heroic efforts of nurses and acknowledges the entire team of healthcare workers from personal support workers to therapists and cleaners as you go all out to support care recipients across our healthcare system during a tumultuous period.
This pandemic is stretching healthcare workers to their limits, and we recognize that you are frustrated and tired due to being underpaid, overworked, and under-appreciated by the government and employers.
But rest assured that your union and the public are grateful for your perseverance as well as your dedication and commitment to care recipients across our health system and in particular COVID-19 patients in our hospitals.
CUPE Ontario reaffirms our commitment to fighting for better wages and working conditions for all healthcare workers, and we will continue pressuring the government into making the changes we need:
- raising staffing levels in hospitals and in long term care to the recommended standards
- providing legislated protection to allow staff to speak out about conditions at work without reprisal
- urgently rebuilding the regulatory system that is failing health care workers
- ensuring access to the protective equipment staff require to be safe
- ensuring staff have greater support from management and access to mental health supports